Sherry Turkle's TED Talk

I just watched Sherry Turkle's TED Talk and I have some thoughts. I thought her talk really opened my eyes about how addicted everyone is to their phones. She talked about how people text and check emails and online shop during classes, meetings and presentations. Not going to lie, I'm guilty of this. I'll be watching TV and scrolling through Twitter, Instagram or shopping on Amazon at the same. I then realize I missed a whole episode and then I'm shocked that I just sat on my phone for a whole hour and didn't realize it. Sherry included a picture of her daughter and her friends all sitting next to each other and all looking down at their phones. "They're together but not actually together." What a wild thing. I know when to not be on my phone and when appropriate times are OK to be on it. I don't think everyone knows that boundary and it's becoming a huge issue in society.

Comments

  1. I thought Sherry’s talk was really interesting too. I have definitely noticed that many people are addicted to their phones. I lose track of time sometimes and realize I’ve wasted a whole hour scrolling. I also often see my sister sit down to eat a meal and she will not put her phone down even once. I think this is so crazy. When I’m hanging out with friends, I try to make sure I am not on my phone because I want to be in the moment and enjoy the time I have with them. Social media will always be there but time with friends won’t.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Game of Thrones Craze

Facebook Decline vs. Instagram Rise